Length of Renewals
|Borrower Type||Books||Periodicals||CDs, DVDs and Videos||Course Reserves||Interlibrary Loan|
|UNL Undergraduate Students||12 renewals (28 days each)||1 renewal (three days)||No Renewals||No Renewals||Determined by the lending library|
|UNL Graduate Students||5 renewals (56 days each)||1 renewal (three days)||No Renewals||No Renewals||Determined by the lending library|
|UNL Faculty||8 renewals (140 days each)||1 renewal (three days)||No Renewals||No Renewals||Determined by the lending library|
|UNL Staff||5 renewals (56 days each)||1 renewal (three days)||No Renewals||No Renewals||Determined by the lending library|
|Community Members*||1 renewal (28 days)||cannot be checked out||No Renewals||cannot be checked out||Determined by the lending library|
* Community Members include: UNL Alumni Association Members, Reciprocal Borrowers and Nebraska Residents
How to Renew a Loan
You will need your NCard or Community Member Library Card
Renewing Materials Not Yet Due Back
- Ask to renew materials at one of our ASKus locations. You do not need to bring the materials in for this service.
- Renew through My Library. Renewals may not be allowed if there are blocks on your record (i.e., overdue books, too much money owed, patron record expired, etc.)
Renewing Overdue Materials
Overdue materials are subject to fines. If fines apply, they will be charged to your record.
- Bring the overdue notice to any ASKus location and request renewal of the materials listed.
- Mail the overdue notice(s) to: 318 Love Library, P.O. Box 884100, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE 68588. On the overdue notice, write "RENEW". You can login to My Library to check your fees/fines and the new date.
- If you receive an overdue notice via email, reply to the message with a request to renew.
Renewals Not Allowed or Missing Materials
Library materials must be returned if:
- you have renewed the maximum number of times
- a recall has been placed on the materials
- the materials status has been declared as missing
Items not eligible for renewal or gone missing, must be returned to verify their physical condition and be left in the library for 24 hours prior to being checked out again. This policy applies to all users.
Faculty Renewals / Missing
- Most materials can be renewed 8 times unless a recall has been placed on them. EXCEPTION: Circulating bound journals can be renewed once.
- After 8 renewals or the status of the item has gone to MISSING, the items must be returned to verify their whereabouts and physical condition unless other arrangements are made.
- Items must be left in the library at least 24 hours prior to being checked out again.