Library User Responsibilities
- You are responsible for knowing when your books are due and returning or renewing them on time.
- Items can not be borrowed without your library card.
- Library cards can only be used by the card owner.
- Library materials must be checked out before leaving the library.
- You can not check out materials for someone else unless arrangements have been made with UNL Libraries.
- Return materials in the same condition as when you borrowed them.
- Reserve materials must be returned to the same ASKus location you checked them out from.
- Most materials may be returned to any UNL library OR outside book return bin located at Love, C.Y. Thompson and Architecture Libraries.
- Items returned to outside bins after hours are checked in the next business day. Late fees apply.
- A receipt may be requested at any ASKus location for all items returned. Please request the receipt prior to checking materials in.
- If you do not return borrowed materials to designated areas, they will not be processed as "returned".
- You are responsible for fees or fines that accrue for items returned late.
- Materials must be returned in the same condition as when they were checked out.
- Materials checked out must be returned to a UNL Libraries at an ASKus location or outside return bin.
- Checked out materials left on tables, bookcases, etc will not be discharged, and late return fines will apply when they are located.
Paying Fines and Fees
- You are responsible for paying overdue fines and fees accrued from borrowing UNL Libraries items until they are returned, regardless of whether you received due date or late notices.
- Fees may be charged for damaged, lost or stolen materials.
- There will be no transfer fines or fees from one borrower to another.
Report Lost or Stolen Cards Immediately
- If your card is lost or stolen, you must report it immediately to any UNL ASKus location.
- You are responsible for materials borrowed with a stolen card that has not been reported.
- Lost library cards may be replaced at Love, C.Y. Thompson, Engineering, or Architecture Library ASKus locations.
Managing Your Library Account / Record
- Keep your information up-to-date.
- Keep track of due dates to avoid fines.
- Renew your books on time.
Get Notifications From Us
We prefer sending emails to let you know about recalled items or overdue notices, fines, etc.
- Make sure your email is accurate and current.
- You are still responsible for fines and fees regardless of whether or not you have received notices from us.
- Keep your information current.
Please use cell phones, and other electronic devices responsibly, so as not to disturb other library users.
- Set phones on vibrate or turn off notifications.
- Keep conversations brief and quiet.
- If possible, move to a less populated area of the library.
Theft and Damage
- Library materials are state property.
- Theft or vandalism is a criminal offense.
- UNL Libraries will prosecute.
- UNL students will be referred to the Student Judicial Affairs Office.
- Community Member Card holders will be contacted by UNL Police.
- The Libraries will assess a fee for damage such as torn out pages, highlighting, water or pet damage, or placing post-it notes as markers.
- All forms of tobacco product use is prohibited in all of the UNL Libraries.
- If you are asked by a staff member to discard any form of tobacco, please do so promptly.
- Failure to comply with a request by the library staff is a violation of the student conduct code.