The reading room in 29 Love Library is open by appointment only Mon-Fri, 9am-4pm. An appointment provides an opportunity to prepare materials in advance and make the best use of your visit.
All campus visitors are required to follow UNL policies related to Covid-19. Visit https://covid19.unl.edu for the latest campus information.
Reading Room Locations & Guidelines
Reading Room Guidelines
When visiting the reading rooms, all researchers using Archives & Special Collections materials must register. University of Nebraska students, faculty, or staff are asked to show their university i.d. cards. Non-university researchers are asked to provide another form of photo identification.
The collections held by Archives & Special Collections contain rare or unique items. To protect our collections we ask our patrons to observe the following guidelines.
- Please provide valid photo identification.
- Use only pencils. If you do not have a pencil one will be provided.
- Food or drink are not allowed in the reading room.
- Be careful not to let laptops, notebooks or other objects rest on top of books, manuscripts, or archival materials.
- Do not attach items to or mark the materials. Paper slips are provided to flag a page in a book or a document in a folder.
- Please use one folder from a box at a time and maintain the existing order within each folder and box.
- When selecting documents to be photocopied, copy slips are provided to identify the items.
- Cotton gloves are provided for handling photographs and other items as necessary.
- Archive staff reserves the right to examine the researcher's briefcase, bags, notebooks, or any other personal property before a patron or researcher leaves the reading room.
- Patrons are requested to use cell phones outside of the reading room.