It is possible to request photocopies and reproductions of materials held in the Archives & Special Collections when the copies can be produced without any damage to the materials and it is permitted by United States copyright law. Archive staff make all photocopies and digital reproductions.
Reproductions are made for private study, scholarship, or research use and may not be transferred to others, further reproduced, or published without written permission of the University of Nebraska - Lincoln or from the individual or institution that holds the copyrights.
Selected materials in the Archives & Special Collections may not be copied. Exposure to light is a risk to books and papers. Basic handling, scanning or photocopying can be detrimental to long term preservation and result in expensive conservation repair.
The material within the Archives & Special Collections is protected under the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code).
Securing copyright clearance, permission to publish or reproduce materials from the University of Nebraska - Lincoln is the responsibility of the patron, who assumes all responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights belonging to the author, the author's heirs or assigns, and for obtaining all necessary permissions from the author, heirs or assigns.
The University of Nebraska - Lincoln is not the owner of literary rights or copyright unless such rights have been specifically granted by the author or donor, or their heirs or assigns. The University of Nebraska - Lincoln does not assume any legal responsibility for any infringement of literary, copyright or publication rights belonging to the author, heirs or assigns.
In granting permission to publish materials held in the Archives & Special Collections, the University of Nebraska - Lincoln does not surrender its own right to thereafter publish materials or grant others permission to publish it.
Patrons are requested to use the preferred citation that designates the Archives & Special Collections, University of Nebraska-Lincoln Libraries, as the repository for any material used in a published work.
Some of the collections held by Archives & Special Collections may have restrictions on access. Collections may be restricted based on confidentiality, copyright, condition, or by donor request. Patrons requesting access to restricted materials must contact the person or agency imposing the restriction. Access to restricted collections cannot be granted without written authority.
Reading Room Guidelines
The collections held by Archives & Special Collections contain rare or unique items. To protect our collections we ask our patrons to observe the following guidelines.
- Please provide valid photo identification.
- Use only pencils. If you do not have a pencil one will be provided.
- Food or drink are not allowed in the reading room.
- Be careful not to let laptops, notebooks or other objects rest on top of books, manuscripts, or archival materials.
- Do not attach items to or mark the materials. Paper slips are provided to flag a page in a book or a document in a folder.
- Please use one folder from a box at a time and maintain the existing order within each folder and box.
- When selecting documents to be photocopied, copy slips are provided to identify the items.
- Cotton gloves are provided for handling photographs and other items as necessary.
- Archive staff reserves the right to examine the researcher's briefcase, bags, notebooks, or any other personal property before a patron or researcher leaves the reading room.
- Patrons are requested to use cell phones outside of the reading room.