MissionThe UNL University Libraries is committed to providing access to members of the campus community with temporary or permanent disabilities. We strive to ensure that all users have access to the libraries’ resources and facilities.
Service InformationThe University Libraries provide accessible entrances, restrooms, and elevators. For more information, including campus parking, see specific library at: http://libraries.unl.edu/accom#locations. Library staff will provide reference assistance and material retrieval for users in a timely and courteous manner. We will provide electronic access for services and materials to meet the need of users. Use the web form for document delivery and reference services at: https://unl.illiad.oclc.org/illiad/logon.html. For more information, see the Libraries Services Page at: http://libraries.unl.edu/services.
Assistive Technology EquipmentThis is a general listing of equipment. UNL Students can also contact the Services for Students with Disabilities Office for additional equipment options. If you need a transcript of any video or audio resources as a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact Charlene Maxey-Harris, email@example.com, 402-472-4199, for assistance.
• JAWS (latest version)
• Zoom Text (latest version)—Love, CYT
• Portable Video Magnifer—Love South Circulation Checkout
• Magnifier (Reference Area, Link, 2nd floor), mobile
tables, desk, and white boards
Mobile tables, desk, and white boards (Love South, 1st floor)
Material Retrieval and Electronic DeliveryCirculation services will provide material retrieval using the document delivery service, ILLiad. Requests are for those with temporary and permanent disabilities. Our goal is to have the items ready for pick 24 hours after the request.
- Complete the ILLIAD user information form at: https://unl.illiad.oclc.org/illiad/FirstTime.html
- Request Materials:
For items in our catalog, go to UNL WebBridge and “request delivery”.
Reference AssistanceReference assistance is available in the libraries and by phone, email, chat, and texting. For access to these services visit our Ask a Question Service at: http://libraries.unl.edu/askus. If you have a specialized question or reference request that may require extensive assistance, we recommend setting up an appointment with a subject librarian who specializes in your subject field. For more information, visit: http://libraries.unl.edu/directory#subjlib.
Library staff will assist you with using library resources and software. However we do not provide legal or medical advice, nor do we assist patrons with writing letters, reports or correspondence of any kind.
Persons with disabilities who need extensive help using library resources and services are advised to bring an aide to assist them. If an aide is not available, appointments for assistance are preferred, as immediate service cannot be guaranteed. Reference Desk: 402-472-9568, TTY-Hearing Impaired: 402-472-2561
Authorized User FormThe Authorized User Service is intended to provide the UNL community with the option to authorize others to retrieve materials from the UNL libraries. All authorized users must be 18 years of age and must have an UNL NCard or UNL Libraries Community User Card. To complete the form the designated user and the original library requester NCard is needed. Authorized User Service also allows the authorized user(s) to pick up Interlibrary Loan materials. For more information and policies, visit: http://libraries.unl.edu/librarycards#tab2
(Architechure Hall, 3rd Floor Rm. 308) + link
- Parking: There are spaces in the south parking lot.
- Entrance: There is an entrance on the south side of the building with elevator access.
- ADA Restrooms: Restrooms are located on the mid-level of the library.
- Public Elevator: Available near the south entrance. The library also has an elevator.
402-472-1208 / Circulation & Reference
402-472-1193 / Visual Resources Library
C.Y. THOMPSON LIBRARY
(East Campus) + link
- Parking: There are 2 handicapped parking spaces in the parking lot behind the east side of the library.
- Entrance: Back entrance door (east side) with a phone available for users to call for access. Also there is a ramp entrance to the front doors (northwest side) of the library.
- ADA Restrooms: Restrooms are located on the basement level.
- Public Elevator: Available near the back entrance.
402-472-4401 / Circulation
402-472-4407 / Reference
(Nebraska Hall, 2nd floor Rm. 204) + link
- Parking: There are parking places in the north lot and in the west lot.
- Entrance: There is a ramp available for the west main entrance.
- ADA Restrooms: There are ADA restrooms in the Nebraska Hall. There are no public restrooms located in the library.
- Public Elevator: There is a public elevator near the west entrance.
402-472-3411 / Circulation & Reference
(Bessey Hall, Basement, Rm. 10) + link
- Parking: Parking is available in front of Morrill Hall in the Loop.
- Entrance: Access the doors on the North side of Bessey Hall
- ADA Restrooms: Located on the 1st floor near the West end of the building.
- Public Elevator: Available on the West end of the building.
(City Campus) + link
- Parking: There is parking available on the east side in the Canfield parking lot.
- Entrance: Love South and North entrances are accessible.
- ADA Restrooms: Restrooms are located in Love South.
- Public Elevator: All of the elevators in Love North and South are available.
402-472-9568 / Circulation
402-472-2526 / Dean's Office
402-472-9568 / Reference
(Avery Hall, Basement, Rm. 14) + link
- Parking: On the the South side of the building with a UNL parking permit.
- Entrance: Access the doors on the South side of Avery Hall.
- ADA Restrooms: The women's restroom is at the South East corner of the basement. The men's restroom is at the North East corner of the basement.
- Public Elevator: Enter the South doors and take elevator to the 1st floor. Go to the South East corner of the 1st floor. Take the 2nd elevator to the basement. The library is located in the South West corner of the basement.
(Westbrook Building, Basement Rm. 101) + link
- Parking: There are 2 parking lots adjacent to the building. Both lots have available parking.
- Entrance: East of the building there are 2 doors on ground level. On the west side of the building there is a ramp for entrance.
- ADA Restrooms: Unfortunately there are no ADA accessible restrooms in the building.
- Public Elevator: Available near the main (east) entrance. The library is located in the basement.
SCHMID LAW LIBRARY
(McCollum Hall College of Law, 1875 N. 42nd Street, Lincoln, NE 68583-0902) + link
- Parking: There is parking available in the parking lot north of McCollum Hall.
- Entrance: ADA doors are available for the north and south entrances.
- ADA Restrooms: All the restrooms are ADA accessible.
- Public Elevator: Building elevator is near the north entrance and there is an elevator in the Law Library.
402-472-3547 / Circulation
402-472-3548 / Reference
- JAWS (Job Access With Speech) Love Reference 2nd floor, ask at Reference Desk
JAWS Quick Start Guide: http://www.freedomscientific.com/downloads/jaws/JAWS-Tandem-QSG.asp
- ZoomText (Screen Magnifier) Love Reference 2nd Floor and CYT Library, ask at Reference Desk
Several tutorials are available on the website: http://www.aisquared.com/blog/category/tips-tricks/
DatabasesMost resources should provide accessible materials for library users.
- JSTOR accessibility--PDF articles attached
- Ebsco text-speech (Administration function)
- Wilson Web (Omnifile, Reader's guide to periodical literature)
enlarged print on screen
adjust/change color menu
TroubleshootingIf you are unable to access a resource, please contact Research and Information Services at 402-472-9568 or visit: http://libraries.unl.edu/askus
For Student Campus Services, contact UNL Services for Students with Disabilities at: http://www.unl.edu/ssd/.
Faculty/Staff Disability Services are provided at: http://www.unl.edu/equity/dservices.shtml.